Painting walls for a fresh look seems like a simple task. However, it's easy to make mistakes that can cause your walls to look aged or dirty. Avoid these common mistakes to make sure your walls stay looking crisp and fresh!
1. Not all paint is created equal. Don't go for the cheapest paint, price can reflect the heartiness of the paint itself. Like most things, a quality product that will stand the test of time is not usually the cheapest option. Take the time to properly budget for good, quality paint and you won't be disappointed in the results.
2. Choosing a light paint can lead to big problems. If you're painting a highly trafficked area of your home, make sure to choose a color that will help hide any scuffs and scrapes. Usually a bright white or lighter paint will only highlight imperfections.
3. Make sure to choose the right sheen. There are multiple paint finishes including matte, satin and glossy. Each sheen has specific characteristics and it's important to understand what works best in each room. Matte finishes should be reserved for less traveled areas, they are much harder to clean. Glossy finish is a great option for walls that you need to clean often, such as a mudroom or kitchen. Satin is a good combination that is easier to clean than matte, but doesn't show imperfections as easily as glossy paint.
4. Use the right tools for the job. You should choose the right roller or paint brush depending on the surface that you are trying to paint. If the surface is more porous or textured such as brick, make sure to choose a thickly woven roller that can hold more paint. The more porous the surface, the more paint it will take to get a clean finish.
5. Properly prep all surfaces. For any wall that has surface stains, you should always use a primer to help even out the color. It's also important to thoroughly clean every surface before painting to remove dust and debris that might affect the surface texture of the paint.
Follow these tips and you'll be able to freshen up any room in your home with new paint. If you have questions on what tools or paint to use, stop by your local hardware store. They will be able to help answer your questions and make sure that you have the right supplies to get the job done!